The ABC is worth fighting for!
We are former employees of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation who believe passionately in the need for a fearless, well-funded and independent national broadcaster as a vital part of Australian democracy.
- Publicly advocate for improved funding for the ABC, and for the protection of its independence and integrity
- Constructively criticise the ABC where warranted, and promote continuous improvement and public accountability
- Mobilise our skills in support of the ABC, including through mentoring and training current staff
- Provide public speakers, articles and research on the role and importance of the ABC, and work with like-minded groups to campaign for strong and vital public broadcasting that delivers for the public interest
- Provide opportunities for alumni and associates to meet among themselves, and also to hear from current ABC management and staff on the performance, challenges and opportunities facing the ABC
The Alumni is an independent company limited by guarantee, with no affiliation or partnership with any lobby group or other organisation, aside from a working relationship from time to time with ABC Friends on issues of common interest.
How you can get involved
You can join ABC Alumni if you’ve worked one full-time year for the ABC or its part-time equivalent. If you’re not ex-ABC but support our objectives, please join as an Associate.
Contact us if you can help us establish a presence in your area. You can be involved wherever you are. Your suggestions and offers of help are welcome at ABCAlumniAustralia@gmail.com.
ABC Alumni is a registered not-for-profit company limited by guarantee (ACN 628 088 371, ABN 85628088371). We are registered as a charity with the Australian Charities & Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) for the purpose of advancing education and public debate about the ABC, and establishing a scholarship fund.
Board, Committees, Services
ABC Alumni Board, L-R: Janet Clayton, Alan Sunderland, Helen Grasswill, Jonathan Holmes, Gael Jennings. Missing: Quentin Dempster, Sandra Levy.
Click on Alumni names to view brief biography.
Helen Grasswill (Deputy Chair)
Janet Clayton (Company Secretary & Treasurer)
VIC: Peter Marks
ACT: Phil Williams
Tas: David Brill, Deborah Fleming
QLD: Trish Lake, Mark Hayes
WA: Bobbie Mackley
SA and NT: TBA
Administration: Helen Grasswill, Janet Clayton, Gil Appleton
Campaigns: Quentin Dempster
Drama and Specialist: Dr Gael Jennings, Sandra Levy
Events: Sharon Carleton
Government: Jonathan Holmes, Helen Grasswill, Alan Sunderland
Historian: Wendy Borchers
International: Helen Grasswill, Vivien Altman
Membership: Janet Clayton
Media & Public Relations: Helen Grasswill
Newsletters: Jonathan Holmes
Social Media: Janet Clayton
Training/Reviewing/Mentoring: Sue Spencer, Peter McEvoy, Alan Sunderland
Website Content: Helen Grasswill (editor), Sue Spencer, Mick Donaldson, Gil Appleton
Website Management: Janet Clayton
David Taylor, Tanya Segelov
Segelov Taylor Lawyers Sydney
Suite 802, Level 8
307 Pitt Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Business Ignition Group Sydney